NY hit by gas smell; 19 in hospital
Tuesday Jan 9 09:59 AEDT
A powerful, mysterious smell of gas wafted through much of Manhattan and parts of New Jersey, forcing building evacuations and a temporary suspension of commuter train service before dissipating by mid-afternoon.
Officials were quick to stress that the natural gas-like odour was not dangerous, but at least 19 people went to hospital suffering minor complaints and its wide extent provoked jitters in a city that is constantly reminded of the September 11 attacks.
Twelve people were taken by ambulance to New York hospitals by emergency workers responding to calls from people complaining of upset stomachs, dizziness or difficulty breathing, a Fire Department spokesman said.
"It was all minor," said the spokesman, though he added a total of 409 fire trucks and hook and ladder rigs were scrambled to investigate the fumes - about six times more than during a normal period.
Seven people went to the hospital seeking treatment in New Jersey, just across the Hudson River from New York, although New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the odour was not dangerous and no unusual gas leaks had been found.
"It may just be an unpleasant smell, but at this point we do not know any more than that. The one thing we are confident about is, it is not dangerous," Bloomberg told a news conference.
"The city's air sensors do not report any elevated level of natural gas," he said.
The natural gas-like smell permeated lower Manhattan and was detected as far north as Central Park, across the width of the island, and in New Jersey.
A US Department of Homeland Security spokesman said there was no indication of a terrorism connection.
Four schools in Manhattan were briefly evacuated, and the smell chased people out of landmarks such as the Rockefeller Center and Macy's department store.
"It was really, really bad then, so bad it gave me a headache," said Kate Browne, who lives in the West Village neighbourhood and said she could smell the gas when she took her daughter to school.
"The emergency services turned up at my daughter's school looking for the leak then," she said.
Part of the New York-New Jersey PATH commuter train system, which carries 225,000 passengers a day, was shut down temporarily as a precaution but normal service quickly resumed.
Several office buildings were evacuated and their air conditioning systems shut down, but city officials soon told building managers that people could return to work.
"There have been no abnormal changes in gas flow in our gas transmission lines," a spokesman for power utility Con Edison said. He declined to answer questions.
Mayor Bloomberg said there had been a small gas leak in lower Manhattan but that was not nearly enough to account for the wide range of the odour. The city was blanketed with low clouds and there was light rain and little wind.
The smell reminded some locals of an incident in October 2005 with the more pleasing scent of pancakes and maple syrup. That mystery also sent an unidentified scent through Manhattan and New Jersey and prompted a multi-agency investigation that proved fruitless.
Natural gas is odourless and a chemical called methyl mercaptan is added to it so that people can detect leaks. The chemical adds an odour similar to rotten eggs or sulphur, which was what people smelled during their morning commute.
- Punk Cafe
- FUBU TUBE™
- Another you, a picture of you, voice message, mime
- WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS WORLD FOOD BOOKS
- VIRGINIA OVERELL
- CHRISTOPHER L G HILL
- Klick Klack Publishing
- JOSHUA PETHERICK
- M O U V I N G
- BUNYIP TRAX AUDIO-VISUAL (TWEETS)
- BUNYIP TRAX AUDIO VISUAL (FX)
- JAMES DEUTSHER WEB SITE
- SATIN MASK
- New tab and window shopper
- Logical Negation
- Boba Sprite
- Ollie's Blog
- Take Every Day as it Comes...
- ZHAO ZHAO
- UBU WEB
- Counterfeit-ness First.
- Natural Selection
- nathan gray
- Magik Crowbar Tapes
- HAO GUO
- GAMBIA CASTLE
- Clubs Project inc
- bianca hester (projectprojects)
- Beuro of Meeteriology
- Annie Wu
- ► 2016 (59)
- ► 2015 (39)
- ► 2014 (64)
- ► 2013 (86)
- ► 2012 (168)
- ► 2011 (248)
- ► 2010 (275)
- ► 2009 (374)
- ► 2008 (501)
- JH FUN RAISER
- き゚こ゚え い㋞㋣㋡
- burn that shit up
- In the source of: http://wwwwwwwww.jodi.org/
- HJ AT JH
- bootleging loveing glenwaveing cropcircling mothah...
- tru wwww bluck mutal
- desktop snouts
- Religous Experience
- One for god and dogs (can't always be cats and the...
- it's hard work being this fluffy
- house of the very island's royal club division mid...
- CHECK MI BLOG ANTIKS JAH ALL
- in and out of the hood
- Larry Anandasun never sounds so good!
- folder dumping
- 4 the birds
- your cosmic judgement Magma - De Futura (1977) for...
- one 4 the rodents
- !felipe barbosa!
- Brunswick and Nth Carlton
- felipe barbosa
- pic lifted from www.dashexer.net
- personal stash of HC
- hot clocks
- for the j-wah, et al
- NY hit by gas smell; 19 in hospital Tuesday Jan 9 ...
- more rubbish
- radom uncredited (?) rubbish
- FIRST WE HAVE TO GO BACK
- HUNTER Back to where it all started. For Matthew.
- 4 C
- Dolphin United Football Club
- • Madge Simpson bong • King cobra bong • Osama Bi...
- Scientist makes glowing piglet
- studio available
- christmas demon swallows nature
- the sun still shines through duchamps large ass. p...
- Schanck you very much
- ▼ January (78)